Enjoy the hustle and bustle of a Georgian Country Fair at Pockerley Waggonway from 31st May to 3rd June 2018.
Experience a fair like no other as The Squire of Pockerley sets about hiring his staff for the coming months!
Here’s just some of the many things on offer at the fair;
- The Squire will be hiring a shepherd, gardener, labourer, bird scarer, house maid or dairy maid at 12.15pm, 1.15pm, 2.15pm, 3.15pm and 4.30pm.
- Have a go at barrel rolling – will you get the fastest time?
- Watch a traditional Punch and Judy show at 11.45am, 12.30pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3.15pm & 4.30pm.
- Try on traditional Georgian costumes.
- Investigate the murder of Joe the Quilter with the Parish Constable.
- See who has been caught committing a crime and is spending the day in the stocks!
- Be entertained by the Georgian Peep Show at 12pm, 2.15pm, 3.45pm (Sat/Sun only).
- Be amazed by the travelling Georgian magician!
- Enjoy traditional live music and clog dancing.
- Watch traditional wooden clogs being made.
- Meet the local falconer and their birds of prey at St Helen’s Church and find out what falcons were used for in the 1800s.
- Have your shadow cut as a keep sake of the fair.
- Meet the skilled folk who will be demonstrating their woodcraft talents.
- Roll up, roll up… for the Flea Circus at 11.25am, 12.45pm, 1.45pm, 2.45pm & 4.15pm.
- Browse the market stalls or see what the trinket sellers have to offer!
- See the gin pit working.
- Learn about the exotic alpacas that will be taking up residence over the four days.
- Do you dare to hold a snake or a spider? Some exotic animals from far away lands will be on display! (Sat/Sun only).
- Be mesmerised by the fire eater at 11.05am, 1.20pm and 3.30pm – watch out for some surprises in his show!
- Have a go at lavender-bag making.
- Taste a sample of traditional Georgian gingerbread.
- Play traditional Georgian games such as shove ha’penny, bar billiards or the coconut shy, or have a go on the Georgian swingboat!
- Meet the corn dolly maker as she demonstrates her beautiful work (Thurs/Fri/Sat only).
- Get your marching orders from the Wellington’s Redcoats of the Durham 68th Regiment.
- See if you can spot the pack horse on his travels around the landscape.
- Or if you’re feeling under the weather, you can even meet our Quack Doctor who has a remedy for every ailment…
- Enjoy heather thatching and wattle and daub demonstrations at Joe the Quilters Cottage, a replica of a 19th century quilters cottage from Warden near Hexham.
- Try your strength!
Download your Georgian Fair What’s On sheet here.
If you can’t wait for the Georgian Fair, take a look at our video from the 2017 event;
The fair is an amazing experience, everywhere you look there is something fascinating, it’s a really important and exciting part of our history.
Seb Littlewood – Head of Rural Life
As with all daytime events, you can use your Unlimited Pass!