Enjoy the hustle and bustle of a Georgian Country Fair at Pockerley Waggonway from 31st May to 3rd June 2018.
Experience a fair like no other as The Squire of Pockerley sets about hiring his staff for the coming months!
Here’s just some of the many things on offer at the fair;
- Be entertained by the Georgian Peep Show (Saturday and Sunday only).
- Have a go at barrel rolling – will you get the fastest time?
- Watch a traditional Punch and Judy show.
- Try on traditional Georgian costumes.
- Be amazed by the magician!
- Enjoy traditional live music and clog dancing.
- Meet the local falconer and his birds of prey to find out what falcons were used for in the 1800s
- Have your shadow cut as a keep sake of the fair.
- Meet the skilled folk who will be demonstrating their woodcraft talents.
- You can roll up, roll up, to see a Flea Circus in action.
- Browse the market stalls or see what the trinket sellers have to offer!
- Learn about the exotic alpacas that will be taking up residence over the four days.
- Do you dare to hold a snake or a spider? Some exotic animals from far away lands will be on display!
- Be mesmerised as a fire eater shows you just what he can do – watch out for some surprises in his show!
- See how basket making is so expertly done.
- Have a go at lavender-bag making.
- Play traditional Georgian games such as shove ha’penny or the coconut shy, or have a go on the Georgian swingboat!
- Meet the corn dolly maker as she demonstrates her beautiful work.
- Get your marching orders as the Wellington’s Redcoats of the Durham 68th Regiment of Foot join us on the Saturday and Sunday of the fair.
- See if you can spot the pack horse on his travels around the landscape.
- The Squire will be hiring a shepherd, gardener, labourer, bird scarer, house maid or dairy maid at 12.15pm, 1.15pm, 2.15pm, 3.15pm and 4.30pm.
- Or if you’re feeling under the weather, you can even meet our Quack Doctor who has a remedy for every ailment…
If you can’t wait for the Georgian Fair, take a look at our video from the 2017 event;
The fair is an amazing experience, everywhere you look there is something fascinating, it’s a really important and exciting part of our history.
Seb Littlewood – Head of Rural Life
As with all daytime events, you can use your Unlimited Pass!