First World War Centenary Commemorations : 4th August, 2014 - 19th October, 2014
Beamish is holding community-led events between 2014 and 2018 to commemorate the centenary of the First World War.
Discover life on the home front at the Museum, where The Town and Pit Village represent the North East in the early part of the 20th century.
Beamish is working with schools and community groups to explore local stories of the First World War.
First World War at Beamish - 4th, 5th & 6th August 2014
Monday 4th & Tuesday 5th August
100 years since the outbreak of the war, commemorations begin, including:
- The story of Beamish soldier Thomas Pascoe will be shared in one of the pit cottages.
- First World War display by Wessington U3A War Memorial Project, upstairs in the bank in The Town.
- Family activities including poppy making in The Pit Village.
- Remembrance activity in the chapel to commemorate the start of the war.
- Tyneside Women's Health Choir singing in the chapel.
- Voluntary Aid Detachment recruitment/training tent in The Town.
- Making supplies for soldiers in the band hall.
Wednesday 6th August
The community of Felling will visit the Museum for a Commemoration Day, including a parade from The Town to Pit Village, in addition to the activities above.
Agricultural Show - 18th to 21st September 2014
Discover what life was like for First World War soldiers, when living history group the Gordon Highlanders take part in our Agricultural Show.
Pals Battalions - 18th to 19th October 2014
Find out about Pals Battalions when the Durham Pals hold a recruitment drive.
See displays from Washington War Memorials Project, Durham County Records Office and community groups.
Staff and volunteers will be taking part in events across the North East, including:
- Sunderland Airshow - 26th & 27th July
- First World War event, Cowshill - 23rd August
- First World War event, Winlaton - 1st September
- Western Front Association Durham Branch Centenary Conference, Chester-le-Street - 6th September
- Palace Green, Durham City - 13th & 14th September
- Boot Camp, Hylton Castle - 26th & 27th September
- First World War Tea Dance, South Tyneside - 18th October
- Remembering the past at Bede Tower, Sunderland - 8th November, 10.30am - 2.30pm
- First World War Day, St Mary's Heritage Centre, Gateshead - 15th November, 10.30am - 3.30pm