Take a behind the scenes look at our Transport and Industry collection as our Keeper of Industry takes you around the areas of Beamish not on view to visitors.
During your experience you will take a guided tour of our Tram Sheds, see the trams not in service and view the vintage vehicles currently being restored for use in the museum, while a member of our Transport team tells you about the history behind them.
You will also have a look around our workshops where items are restored to their former glory. During the course of the experience you will take a walk down to the Regional Museums Store next to Rowley Station and see the hidden machinery and transport stored here such as the Doxford Engine. A unique insight into the transport here at the museum which is not to be missed!
Arrive at the museum for 10am opening, and spend the morning seeing our historic transport in action, before making your way to meet our Keeper of Industry.
Find out some of the fascinating stories behind these objects and the work that not only goes into preserving them, but also bringing them into daily operation.
- Sunday, 5th November 2017 (1.00pm – 3.00pm)
- Sunday, 25th February 2018 (2.00pm – 3.30pm)
- Sunday, 18th March 2018 (2.00pm – 3.30pm)
- Sunday, 22nd April 2018 (2.00pm – 3.30pm)
- Sunday, 20th May 2018 (2.00pm – 3.30pm)
- Sunday, 24th June 2018 (2.00pm – 3.30pm)
- Sunday, 9th September 2018 (2.00pm – 3.30pm)
- Sunday, 14th October 2018 (2.00pm – 3.30pm)
- Sunday, 25th November 2018 (2.00pm – 3.30pm)
Cost: £35 per person.
Included in your Traditional Experience:
- Day admission to the museum
- Talk by Beamish Museum’s Keeper of Industry
- Tour of the Tram Shed, Workshops and Regional Museum Stores
- Opportunity to see transport not on display at Museum
- A refreshment voucher to the value of £3.50 redeemable for a freshly baked scone and hot drink from either the Tea Rooms or the Coffee Shop
Please note: Courses are only available for those aged 18 and over unless otherwise stated. Tram and steam engine driver experiences are limited to those aged 21 and over, who hold full UK driving licence.
Please click here to view Booking Terms & Conditions for Traditional Experiences at Beamish Museum.