Go behind the scenes to uncover the fascinating stories behind the costumes we hold in our collections – who made them? Who wore them? And find out how our Costume Team research and create the costumes that bring our museum to life.
If you’ve ever wanted to see the authentic costume that we hold in our stores then this is the experience for you. Step back in time in this exciting opportunity to view and handle many of the authentic period costumes that we have in our collections as well as hearing the stories behind them from a member of our Collections Team.
As well as this you will learn how Beamish Museum represents each era through costume, having the chance to look around our costume department and chat with our skilled Costume Team. See our research material and some existing costume pieces… even try some on and take photos to remember the experience!
I really enjoyed myself, there was lots of interesting information and the costumes are wonderful. I’m very impressed by the Costume Team, they’re very hardworking and knowledgeable!
Really informative, great to see behind the scenes!
- Sunday, 14th October 2018 (10.00am – 12noon)
Cost: £35 per person.
Included in your experience:
- A talk from a member of our collections team about various authentic period costume items with the opportunity to handle
- An introduction to what we do in our costume department
- A look at our materials/research resources
- A chat about the different methods we use to create the looks of the Georgian and Edwardian periods, and now the 1940s and 1950s
- A try on of a selection of Edwardian costume and accessories
- Explore Beamish Museum and see the various costumes out on site – day admission to the museum included (open 10am – 5pm)
Please note: Courses are only available for those aged 18 and over unless otherwise stated. Tram and steam engine driver experiences are limited to those aged 21 and over, who hold full UK driving licence.
Please click here to view Booking Terms & Conditions for Traditional Experiences at Beamish Museum.