Mind your Ps and Qs on this Traditional Experience and have a go at printing your own piece of work on our Columbian printing press!
Join our expert printer in our 1900s Town for this unique experience where you will learn about the role of an Edwardian compositor and printer, set your typeface and print a piece of work that you can take away with you!
Invented in America in 1813 and built in 1837 by Clymer and Dixon of London, the Columbian press at Beamish is used to produce posters for events and performances at the museum.
Cost: £35 per person.
- Wednesday, 8th January 2020
- Wednesday, 15th January 2020
- Wednesday, 22nd January 2020
- Wednesday, 29th January 2020
- Wednesday, 5th February 2020
- Wednesday, 12th February 2020
- Wednesday, 26th February 2020
- Wednesday, 4th March 2020
- Wednesday, 11th March 2020
- Wednesday, 18th March 2020
- Wednesday, 25th March 2020
- Wednesday, 1st April 2020
- Wednesday, 22nd April 2020
- Wednesday, 29th April 2020
- Wednesday, 6th May 2020
- Wednesday, 13th May 2020
- Wednesday, 20th May 2020
- Wednesday, 3rd June 2020
- Wednesday, 10th June 2020
- Wednesday, 17th June 2020
- Wednesday, 24th June 2020
Included in your experience:
- Expert tuition from our printer who will take you through a brief history of printing and teach you the basics of compositing and printing on our Columbian Press.
- Brilliant opportunity to take home a poster bearing your name that you have printed yourself!
- We will provide you with an apron to wear (you will need to bring a pair of safety boots or shoes and old clothes you don’t mind getting dirty).
- Explore Beamish Museum – day admission to the museum included (open 10am-5pm during summer and 10am-4pm during winter).
Please note: This Traditional Experience will take place on the first floor of the print shop in The 1900s Town. We regret that, because of the nature of our historic buildings, this experience may not be suitable for visitors in wheelchairs or with limited mobility. If you have any questions regarding accessibility, please get in touch to discuss your requirements.
Participants must be aged 18 years or over and will require safety boots or shoes (not supplied).
Please click here to view Booking Terms and Conditions for Traditional Experiences at Beamish Museum.