A fantastic opportunity to drive one of our Colliery Railway locomotives!
Join a member of our Transport and Industry Team to learn the history and operation of a colliery railway locomotive, before enjoying the unique chance to drive the locomotive, under guidance, in The 1900s Colliery Yard!
New for 2019, this half day experience offers fantastic “hands-on” time driving a steam engine, and is ideal for those who don’t fancy a full day experience. With a maximum of only two participants on each course, you are guaranteed plenty of time at the controls. We also offer a two hour Have a Go at Driving a Steam Engine taster experience.
- Thursday, 2nd May 2019 (10am – 1pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 2nd May 2019 (2pm – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 23rd May 2019 (10am – 1pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 23rd May 2019 (2pm – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 20th June 2019 (10am – 1pm)
- Thursday, 20th June 2019 (2pm – 5pm)
- Thursday, 26th September 2019 (10am – 1pm)
- Thursday, 26th September 2019 (2pm – 5pm)
Included in your experience:
- Expert tuition from a member of our Transport and Industry Team, who will teach you the working and history of the Colliery Railway locomotive.
- Costume – we will provide you with overalls, and would recommend you bring an old shirt/jumper (as it will get dirty)!
Participants must be aged 21 years and over, require safety shoes or boots and hold a full UK driving licence to take part.
The Colliery Railway experience will be undertaken on either our standard gauge railway or our narrow gauge railway, both of which are in The Colliery area. The locomotive used will be based on availability at the time of the experience, and will dictate which railway is used.
Please click here to view Booking Terms & Conditions for Traditional Experiences at Beamish Museum.