This unique experience allows you to prepare, steer and drive our 1931 Fowler Steam Roller through Beamish Museum.
Start your day at the Beamish Rural District Council Depot where you will clean and prepare the Steam Roller and bring it into steam with expert tuition from a member of our Transport & Industry Team. They will take you through the history of the engine while you light the fire and complete the preparation routine.
You will then steer the Steam Roller, under guidance, through the 1913 Town and then along to The Pit Village and Colliery, before stopping for lunch in The Pit Village. After lunch, you will undertake another circle of the site, visiting other areas, before making your way back to the events field later in the day. Once on the events field it’s time to swap roles, the engager will steer for you whilst you have a drive under their tuition.
At the end of the day we return to the Council Depot to refuel the engine, carry out the disposal routine and then leave after another hard day’s work.
- Friday, 16th March 2018 (9.15am – 5.00pm) – SOLD OUT
- Friday, 20th April 2018 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Friday, 4th May 2018 (9.15am – 5.00pm) – SOLD OUT
- Friday, 18th May 2018 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Friday, 8th June 2018 (9.15am – 5.00pm) – SOLD OUT
- Friday, 22nd June 2018 (9.15am – 5.00pm) – SOLD OUT
- Friday, 20th July 2018 (9.15am – 5.00pm) – SOLD OUT
- Friday, 28th September 2018 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Friday, 12th October 2018 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
Included in your experience:
- Morning tea break and a lunch voucher redeemable at the Sinkers’ Bait Cabin
- Costume – we will provide you with overalls, and would recommend you bring an old shirt/jumper (as it will get dirty)!
- One to one working with one of our engager’s who will teach you the working and history of the Steam Roller
- Learn the mechanics of how the Steam Roller works and the preparation required. Bring the steam roller into steam, lubricate all the moving parts (and don’t forget, it needs to be cleaned and put back into the shed at the end of the day too!)
- Steer and drive the Steam Roller, under the guidance of your experienced tutor
Please note: Participants must be aged 21 years and over, require safety shoes or boots and hold a full UK driving licence to take part.
Please click here to view Booking Terms & Conditions for Traditional Experiences at Beamish Museum.