**Booking a Traditional Experience as a Christmas Gift? Last date to book is Wednesday, 19th December**
This unique experience allows you to prepare and operate our 1931 Fowler Steam Roller through Beamish Museum.
Start your day at the Beamish Rural District Council Depot where you will clean and prepare the Steam Roller before bringing it into steam with expert tuition from a member of our Transport & Industry Team. They will take you through the history of the engine while you light the fire and complete the preparation routine.
You will then have the chance to operate the Steam Roller, under guidance, through The 1900s Town and then along to The 1900s Pit Village and Colliery, before stopping for lunch in The Pit Village. After lunch, you will undertake another circuit of the site, visiting other areas, before making your way back to the Events Field.
At the end of the day we return to the Council Depot to refuel the engine, carry out the disposal routine and then leave after a hard day’s work.
- Friday, 15th March 2019 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Friday, 29th March 2019 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Friday, 3rd May 2019 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Friday, 17th May 2019 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Friday, 7th June 2019 (9.15am – 5.00pm)
- Friday, 21st June 2019 (9.15am – 5.00pm) – SOLD OUT
Included in your experience:
- Morning tea break and a lunch voucher redeemable at the Sinkers’ Bait Cabin
- Costume – we will provide you with overalls, and would recommend you bring an old shirt/jumper (as it will get dirty)!
- One to one working with one of our engager’s who will teach you the working and history of the Steam Roller
- Learn the mechanics of how the Steam Roller works and the preparation required. Bring the steam roller into steam, lubricate all the moving parts (and don’t forget, it needs to be cleaned and put back into the shed at the end of the day too!)
- Operate the Steam Roller, under the guidance of your experienced tutor
Please note: Participants must be aged 21 years and over, require safety shoes or boots and hold a full UK driving licence to take part.
Please click here to view Booking Terms & Conditions for Traditional Experiences at Beamish Museum.