This unique experience allows you to prepare and drive our Colliery Railway locomotives at Beamish Museum.
Start your day at the Colliery Railway Engine Shed where you will clean and prepare the Locomotive and bring it into steam with expert tuition from a member of our Transport & Industry Team. They will take you through the history of the engine while you light the fire and complete the preparation routine.
You will then drive the Locomotive, under guidance, around one of the railway systems in our Colliery area. After lunch, as you become more familiar with the Locomotive we will couple up to a number of wagons to haul and shunt around the railway.
At the end of the day we return to the Shed to refuel the engine, carry out the disposal routine and then leave after another hard day’s work.
- Thursday, 26th April 2018 (9.15am – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 10th May 2018 (9.15am – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 24th May 2018 (9.15am – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 14th June 2018 (9.15am – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 12th July 2018 (9.15am – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 13th September 2018 (9.15am – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 27th September 2018 (9.15am – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 11th October 2018 (9.15am – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
- Thursday, 18th October 2018 (9.15am – 5pm) – SOLD OUT
Included in your experience:
- Morning tea break and a lunch voucher redeemable at the Sinkers’ Bait Cabin
- Costume – we will provide you with overalls, and would recommend you bring an old shirt/jumper (as it will get dirty)!
- Expert tuition from a member of our Transport and Industry Team, who will teach you the working and history of the Colliery Railway Locomotive
Participants must be aged 21 years and over, require safety shoes or boots and hold a full UK driving licence to take part.
The Colliery Railway experience will be undertaken on either our standard gauge railway or our narrow gauge railway, both of which are in The Colliery area. The Locomotive used will be based on what is available at the time of the experience, and will dictate which railway is used.
Please click here to view Booking Terms & Conditions for Traditional Experiences at Beamish Museum.