Discover the science and engineering of the North East, from the past and present day at Beamish this weekend.
Beamish, together with organisations from across the region, have a whole host of exciting hands-on activities for visitors to try.
- Enjoy educational and immersive, hands-on science activities with ChemSG, the Institute of Physics and the Durham Energy Institute from Durham University.
- Watch and join in with exciting “science busking” demonstrations and activities with Newcastle University Street Scientists.
- Learn about large bridges by Cleveland Bridge.
- Have a go at remote controlled boats with Saltwell Park Model Boat Club.
- Experience a virtual journey with the University of York’s “sundome”.
- Get the family together to make your own wooden steam engine.
- How many coins can you float in our foil boat challenge?
- Test and improve your spatial reasoning skills with our tangram puzzles – and make one to take home!
Throughout the spring, local schools have been taking part in a competition to make windmills and this weekend is an opportunity to see their designs, as well as to take part in a wide range of science and engineering activities.
Wind in Your Sails is going to be a fascinating and fun-packed weekend celebrating all things Science and Engineering with something for everyone. It’s a great opportunity to celebrate the engineering achievements of young people in the region.
Susan Ford – STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) Learning Co-ordinator
As with all daytime events, you can use your Unlimited Pass!