Now in it’s fifth year Old King Coal celebrates the rich mining history of the North East.
- Support the local schools as they parade at 11.30am on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the event.
- Take part in the parade of miners’ banners and brass bands from The Town to The Pit Village at 1.30pm on the Saturday and Sunday of the event.
- Admire the mining banner exhibition in the Collections Study Room near Open Stores.
- Learn how the pit villages of the North East supported the war effort whilst continuing to supply essential coal.
- Tap their feet along to the brass bands which will also be taking part in the parade on the Saturday and Sunday.
- Listen to local folk music and performances in Hetton Band Hall and our performance marquee in The Pit Village.
Why not take a look at some of the photos from Old King Coal 2016 which had a First World War focus?
As with all daytime events, you can use your Unlimited Pass!