Our real ice rink is the perfect festive experience for all the family! Whether you’re a novice skater or fancy yourself as an Edwardian expert, we would love to see your skills!
The rink is decorated in a traditional Edwardian style with festoon lighting and fairground organ music too!
Admission including skate hire costs £4 for children and £5 for adults, for at least a 20 minute session.
Session times include boot collection and exchange, at least 20 minutes on the ice and boot return and exchange.
- Session 1 – 10.15am
- Session 2 – 10.45am
- Session 3 – 11.15am
- Session 4 – 11.45am
- Session 5 – 12.15pm
- Session 6 – 12.45pm
- Session 7 – 1.15pm
- Session 8 – 1.45pm
- Session 9 – 2.15pm
- Session 10 – 2.45pm
- Session 11 – 3.15pm
Special offer: For every full paying adult, one child skates free of charge.
Check out our frequently asked questions below for more information, any more queries please contact us on our Facebook and Twitter pages. Should we experience bad weather and have to change any opening times of the ice rink, we will post to the Facebook and Twitter pages as soon as possible!
When is it open?
Our real ice rink is open daily from 19th November to 31st December (closed Christmas Day & Boxing Day), weekends from 1st January 2017 (museum closed 1st and 2nd January) to 17th February 2017 and daily from 18th February 2017 to 26th February 2017.
How much is it?
Tickets, including skate hire, are £4 for children and £5 for adults for at least a 20 minute session. Plus we have a special offer – ‘Kids go Free’ – One child up to 16 years skates free with one full paying adult skater.
How big is your ice rink?
The rink is 20 metres by 10 metres and is made from real ice! It can accommodate approximately 70 skaters at any one time.
Do I need to pre-book?
Admission to the rink is on a first come, first served basis by purchasing tickets at the Fairground ticket booth, tickets for the day are for sale from 10am each day.
How old do you have to be?
Under 7s to be accompanied on the ice by an adult. Children aged 8 – 12 must be supervised by an adult (adults can watch rink side if they prefer!).
Is there anywhere I can leave my shoes?
Our ice hut gives a great space to change into your skates and leave your shoes at no extra cost.
Is there anywhere to watch from or enjoy a hot drink afterwards?
Definitely! Our festive stall will have an assortment of hot drinks and snacks within our spectators area.
What size skates do you have?
Skate sizes start from junior size 8 to adult size 15.
Can I bring my own skates?
Definitely! You will still need to purchase your tickets as normal, then simply hand your tickets over to our staff at the Fairground and let them know you are using your own skates.
Do you take group bookings and private hire?
Yes whether you have a school group or corporate party, please email us for more details.
In busy times we operate skating sessions to guarantee each skater a minimum of 20 minutes on the ice, session times can be found above and we recommend buying your tickets from the Fairground ticket booth upon arrival – please note tickets cannot be purchased before the day of your visit and the ice rink is unable to take card payments. Late arrival to your session time may result in experiencing a shorter time on the ice rink.
Ice Rink Terms and Conditions
- Tickets, including skate hire, are £4 for children and £5 for adults for at least a 20 minute session.
- ‘Kids go Free’ – One child up to 16 years skates free with one full paying adult skater.
- The Museum reserves the right to decline entry to the Ice Rink.
- All skaters to skate in an anti-clockwise direction.
- At least one ice rink attendant will be on the ice at all times for any assistance needed.
- No food or drink to be consumed on the Ice Rink itself please.
- Shoes and belongings are left in the ice hut at the owners risk.
- In the event of an accident, first aiders are present and will deal with the accident immediately whilst ensuring the safety of all skaters. Should a serious accident occur, the Ice Rink will be evacuated by Ice Rink staff and visitors will be kept up to date at all times.
- Admission to the rink is on a first come, first served basis.
- Please note all visitors must first pay entrance to Beamish and then the admission charge for ice skating to access our ice rink.