Join us for the opening celebrations for our 1950s welfare hall – the first building in our 1950s Town.
Saturday, 22nd June: The grand opening of our replica of Leasingthorne Colliery Welfare Hall and Community Centre will begin with a fantastic parade, starting from our Events Field at 1pm. The procession will make its way through our 1900s Town street to the welfare hall, for the official unveiling of our first 1950s exhibit.
After the opening ceremony, enjoy music and performances, take part in 1950s fun and games, visit our NHS clinic and find out more about the hall’s programme of 1950s activities.
Sunday, 23rd June: The celebrations continue with a day of 1950s fun. Enjoy skiffle songs from Journey Skiffle Folk, at 12.30pm and 1.30pm, who are from charity Journey, who have been working with Beamish. Join in a tea dance, with Graeme Scarlett from the original welfare hall, taking place from 2.30pm-4.30pm.
Our hall is a replica of the Leasingthorne Colliery Welfare Hall and Community Centre, which was built in 1957. The original hall, now known as Coundon and Leeholme Community Centre, is still at the heart of its community and the museum has been working closely with people in the area on the project.
The hall is the first building in our 1950s Town, which is part of the £20million Remaking Beamish project – the biggest development in the museum’s history. Thanks to the money raised by National Lottery players, the Remaking Beamish project has been awarded £10.9million by The National Lottery Heritage Fund.